Beware of Saturation Patrols and DWI Roadblocks in NH this Weekend

As part of their summertime DWI enforcement efforts State Troopers from Troop A barracks alongside local police in Hampton and Seabrook will be conducting DWI saturation patrols throughout southern Rockingham County. State police announced this in a press release earlier this week.

Often, these saturation patrols precede roadblocks where all drivers are stopped. Not only are these roadblocks very pervasive and troublesome for regular law abiding citizens, they are really not all that effective in stopping drunk drivers. These are normally held for political purposes to show the public that the county government cares about safety.

If you are stopped by police at a checkpoint or during a patrol, it is important that you know how to handle yourself correctly. Here are four things you should do.


The cops are not there to help you. They are there to make arrests. You will not be able to talk your way out of a DWI by saying, “I only had one drink.” What will happen is that you will give away details that can be used in court against you. Remember, “anything you say can and will be used against you.” The less you say, the less they have against you.

2. Refuse the Roadside Tests

At roadside, the cops will try to force you to perform a series of tests known as the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFST). These tests are not reliable and are not specific to intoxication. For example, there are many reasons why someone would stumble when asked to stand on one leg such as medical reasons, obesity, old age, and general clumsiness. The SFSTs are optional and you cannot be penalized for not taking them. However, once again, you will only be giving the police more evidence against you if you perform poorly.

3. Write Down the Details

Details win cases. The more information you can gather the better. Where were you before the arrest? Was there anyone with you who could serve as a witness? What questions did the officer ask you? Write things down while they are still fresh in your mind.

4. Get an Experienced Trial Lawyer

In New Hampshire, if you want to fight your DWI charges, you need an attorney who is a heavyweight in court. You need an attorney who will fight and not look for the easy way out. If you are serious about your future, call Bowser Law at (888) 517-3482. Attorney Mike Bowser has decades of trial experience and knows the scientific angles needed to challenge the evidence against you.