Premises liability law, often referred to as slip and fall, is an area of personal injury law designed to hold property owners responsible for injuries or accidents that occur on their property as a result of negligence or unsafe conditions.
For example, if a business does not properly clear snow and ice from a walkway and someone falls and sustains injuries, they may be liable for damages in court.
Common Causes of Premises Liability / Slip and Fall Claims
In many cases, a person assumes the blame for an injury when he or she slips and falls. However, in some situations these types of accidents are the fault of the property owner. Some common causes of premises liability lawsuits include:
Uneven or slippery flooring or obstructions in a pathway
Property owners are obligated to ensure a safe and clear walking surface. Common causes of premises liability slips and falls include wet floors and ice slicks. These types of cases are very common in New England especially during the winter.
Property owners are responsible to keep animals on their premises from harming visitors. If you were on the property legally and were not harassing the dog, the owner can be held liable for injuries. For more details, please see: Have you been bitten by a dog? Here’s what you need to know
If assault or battery could have been prevented by adequate security, a premises liability claim may arise. This is common in bar and nightclubs but also on college campuses and many other places where there is a reasonable expectations for visitors to be safe.
Owners of pools must take protective measures to eliminate the risk of accidental drowning and injury. There are a lot of poolside accidents like slips and diving injuries.
If there is a fire, property owners are liable to ensure fire and safety codes are adhered to. If there are injuries from burns or smoke inhalation, property owners maybe be held liable for damages.
What to do if you are injured?
The first thing you should do is call an experienced injury attorney to review your case. If you want justice, don’t delay. Call now to set up your free consultation at (888) 526-9737.
Why Mike Bowser?
- Mike Bowser been fighting for three decades to get justice for citizens like you.
- His is a trial lawyer who is willing to take matters to court and fight. He does not take the easy way out.
- He is well known by all over MA, NH & ME and has over 200 five star reviews from satisfied clients.
- He has won many numerous cases for his personal injury clients including a $1.5M Wrongful Death claim. Just take a look at some of his case results below.
Here are some results from cases won by Attorney Mike Bowser:
Slip and Fall On Construction Site
Union painter falls on construction site when he steps on copper pipe left on floor and covered with sawdust. Torn meniscus of left knee and total tear of right knee MCL/ACL. Medical bills exceed $83,000. Lost wage claim includes total permanent disability from occupation as painter.
Insurance company for general contractor responsible for job site safety denies liability, questions the plaintiff’s credibility and challenges the extent and nature of his injuries. Pre-trial offer of $300,000 reduced to $250,000 at trial. Plaintiff owes $220,000 to Worker’s Compensation Insurance Carrier.
Jury verdict following eight (8) day personal injury trial before the Suffolk Superior Court in Boston, MA. Verdict of $775,000. Pre-trial interest and comparative fault offset results in total judgment against responsible general contractor for $828,000.
Construction Site Safety
General Contractor and sub-contractor for construction project each deny premises liability and blame injured plaintiff for walking through unlighted garage area in where open pit is located. Plaintiff establishes that both parties were responsible for overall safety of worksite and regular exit of building was blocked by construction debris, thereby leaving unlighted garage as only available exit from building. Plaintiff’s expert establishes numerous construction site safety violations under both OSHA and State Building Code regulations.
Settled prior to trial at mediation for $132,500.00
Slip and Fall at New Jersey Hotel
Older client suffers fractured hip requiring hospitalization and surgery after falling on wet carpeted incline outside New Jersey Hotel.
Insurance carrier for hotel denies liability or existence of any dangerous defect in walkway surface despite unusual grade change that is covered in carpet and allowed to become slick in rain.
Counsel retains safety expert to review photographs of scene and conduct scene analysis in New Jersey. Personal injury suit filed through local firm in New Jersey. Case settled week of trial. $80,000
What is the Bowser Law Difference?
There are many attorneys out there, but Mike Bowser stands out as bold, fearless and passionate.
- Mike Bowser offers a personal touch to personal injury cases. He cares about you and your family and how this tragedy has deeply affected you. He will investigate and personally prepare your case to pursue the maximum compensation for you.
- Clients who have hired Mike Bowser LOVE him! Take one look at some of his five star reviews and you will know exactly why.
- Mike Bowser is a ruthless trial attorney who has appropriately received accolades from judges and opposing counsel for his expertise and professionalism.
- Attorney Bowser has over twenty-five years of experience representing clients injured due to the negligence of another. He has tried several hundred cases successfully to verdict in the District and Superior Courts, including many personal injury jury verdicts that far exceeded the Insurance Company’s last best offer.